if coffee wasn't such a treasured ritual in my morning routine, i could stop drinking it right now. i've found a smoothie that gives me so much energy i don't even need my morning americano. the glowing green smoothie was created by nutritionist kimberly snyder, whose famous fans and devoted smoothie drinkers include drew barrymore, dr. oz, fergie, josh duhamel, olivia wilde, kerry washington and owen wilson.
packed with dark, leafy greens and naturally sweetened with fruit, this green smoothie boosts your energy level, cleans your body of harmful toxins, oxygenates your blood, supports your immune system, stimulates your digestion and brightens your skin. it's also the ideal pre- and post-travel detox. i'd like to think it cancels out the happy hour fries, cocktails and erratic international eating. if you're craving it on your travels, ask for it at your hotel; many take custom room service orders and some resorts even have smoothie stations similar to omelet stations. and if you're in LA, visit snyder's glo bio juice and smoothie bar. oh, and did i mention it's delicious?
my take on the glowing green smoothie
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 bunch spinach, rinsed
- 1/2 head romaine, rinsed
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 pear, cored & quartered
- 1 green apple, cored & quartered
- 1 banana, peeled & halved
- 1/2 lemon (juice & grated rind)
- fill blender with water, coconut water, spinach and romaine, and blend until smooth (30-60 seconds depending on your blender).
- add celery, apple and pear, and blend until smooth.
- add banana and lemon and blend, then add 1/4 cup more water if too thick.
* yields approximately 60 oz (4-5 servings of 12-16 oz)
* nutritional information and original recipe here
* mix it up a little; vary ingredients with chard, kale, cucumber, cilantro, or parsley
* tastes best cold and can be stored in fridge up to three days or frozen and thawed overnight
this post was originally featured on tripstyler.com