rain rain go away, come again another day
but if by chance you're here to stay
i might as well look cute to play- a famous poem...and me
we're no forks, WA, but vancouver gets its
fair generous share of rain. and while i normally fool myself into believing i can leave the house in ballet flats and a cardy, sometimes even i have to kick it up a notch. thus... the stylish rain boot. this season, designers like chloe, valentino, gucci, givenchy, michael kors and celine have gotten into the wellie game. i recently came across the new loeffler randall rain boots online, and i'm in love! three colours... back zipper... under $200... i die. are you in love too? i'm hoping the block gets some in [hint hint] ;-)
loeffler randall back zip rain boot $195 / rain bootie $165
did you know?
don't worry about whether or not your wellies are appropriate - just tell people that they have their roots in british aristocracy and were popularized by the first duke of wellington. that oughta get you through the door in your rubber boots.
did you know?
put on your dancing shoes... gumboot dancing began in the gold mines of south africa in the 1800s. miners worked in darkness and were often forbidden from speaking, so they invented their own language by slapping their gumboots. this form of communication, combined with tribal dancing, became gumboot dancing. [watch here]
here are a few more rain boots, where fashion meets function...
left to right: hunter boots andora wedge boot $175 / hunter boots regent savoy quilted glossy boot $175 / hunter boots original gloss knee boot $150 / hunter boots boa snake embossed boot $225
pour la victoire ben boot $213 / aquatalia unison boot $223 / chloe belted boot $495 / givenchy riding boot $250
urban outfitters bdg laced boot $28 / see by chloe lace-up wellington boot $215 / ilse jacobsen tall boot $189 / tory burch buckled rubber boot $225 / chooka lace-up boot $79 / l.l.bean signature l.l.bean boot $149
vivienne westwood for melissa slip-on bow ankle boot $160 / tretorn skerry vinter boot $60 / jeffrey campbell vee boot $50 / ilse jacobsen short boots $159
ADJUSTABLE & STRETCHY FIT
le chameau vierzon lady boot $160 / pacablz by amaort thunder boot $128 / jeffrey campbell marsha boot $65
a few tips...
- rain boots aren't just for fall and spring - smarten up and buy a pair of fleece wellie socks to stretch your purchase into winter. then there's my clever friend katrina, who brought her wellies to costa rica despite the fact that she only packed a carry-on and they took up half her bag. but it was rainy season, and apparently the best decision she ever made ;-)
- wear your wellies with everything - jeans... skirts... dresses. always wear your boots over your pants, unless they're wide legged.
- the problem with rain boots for many a lady is fit in the calves. there's nothing worse than a saggy wellie! [oy] try a pair of lace-up tall boots, booties or stretch boots.
- some pairs of hunters get white marks on them - wipe them with a cloth or purchase a hunter care product.
- fellas... you too can get your wellie on. if you think tall boots make you look like a gardener or stable hand, try the hunter short boot or the l.l.bean signature waxed lace-up boot or lands' end duck boot.