this summer's hottest swimsuit style is arguably the monokini [a name that's almost as good as jeggings!]. as much as i like the idea of the monokini, i'm sticking to one-piece suits with a little more coverage and class. if you want a trend suit, go for a one-shoulder number, retro style or bright print. and if you're at the pool, you'll need a hat, towel and bag. pass the spf 30 y'all!
part two :: one pieces and accessories
left to right, top to bottom: prints - rosa cha watercolor maillot $298, j.crew palermo paisley tank $88, gottex reflection swimsuit $134, tory burch swimsuit $195, rachel pally yellow brick maillot $168 / ruffles - billabong runway ruffle one piece $120, miraclesuit camila one piece $142, marc by marc jacobs ruffled swimsuit $173, spanx one-shoulder one piece $134, spanx bandeau one piece $134 / create-a-waist - marc by marc jacobs underwire maillot $177, dkny draped solid maillot $108, zimmerman thorn corset swimsuit $230, marc by marc jacobs strapless one piece $173, eres swim faro jet lag swimsuit $500 / retro - lulu letty beach blanket bingo one piece $90, merona bandeau shirred one piece $35, diane von furstenberg carmen retro swimsuit $345, j.crew lomellina retro tank $115, juicy couture beach ruffled swimdress $150 / the big v - jean paul gaultier for target metallic gold swimsuit $25, marc by marc jacobs disco-stripe swimsuit $182, lenny ebbing tide maillot $89, issa color-block plunge-front swimsuit $250, karla colletto high dive maillot $238 / just fo' fun - la blanca by rob beattie bandeau swimsuit $109, fables by barrie sailor swimsuit $98, pez d'or calypso one piece $128, loeffler randall lace-up one piece $215, michael kors clear insert swimsuit $226
left to right, top to bottom: hats - marimekko keisarin hat $129, bop basics sunhat $98, gap floppy straw hat $30, eugenia kim striped hat $196, eugenia kim straw fedora $315, juicy couture pompom tassels hat $88 / etc. - sea bags sail tote $160, halsea kona koi large tote $135, jacobs for marc jacobs canvas jacobs tote $28, trina turk beach bag $198, deck towel $40, pendleton oversized towel $48, missoni beach towel $205
words of wisdom
- a safe bet for all body types is a one-piece swimsuit with a deep v and shirred middle.
- dark one-tone suits can be flattering, but bold colour blocking is just as effective for camoflaging "problem areas" and redirecting eyes towards your better assets.
- golden rule: darkest colours go on places you want to hide; bright colours go on places you want to show off.
- prints aren't always no-nos! however, small prints get lost on larger bodies, so choose wisely.
- never buy a swimsuit because it's cheap, on sale or you just don't feel like looking anymore. wait for the right one that makes you feel fabulous.
- the tankini is not your friend.
- if you don't got it, don't flaunt it.
- look for good construction (ie. underwire) and fabric (ie. thick).
- padding is your friend. you're going in water, ladies!
- use cover-ups effectively - make sure they cover up the parts that need covering.
- yes, heels elongate the leg, but they look a little "try hard". try some cute gladiators instead.
- don't be afraid to shop online. buy a few and return the ones that don't work (just check the return policy!).